The Lindsay Chronicles

"Come what may and love it." -Joseph B. Worthlin

Friday, May 7, 2010

Answers to Prayers

God is good, God is loving and He never, never leaves our side. And always seems to answer in unexpected ways. Often times using people as his tools, and this has been the case for us this week. This week we went to the University of Utah Hospital to meet with Dr.Draper to set up final plans for delivery and such. I've been impressed with Dr. Draper from the very beginning phone calls, and really felt thankful for him. So as we headed south on Wednesday, I was pretty anxious to be able to plan anything at all. I had already been to the doctor early that morning for a non-stress test and so I was a little tired as well. And as I walked in the front entrance to the hospital my heart started racing. Lots of people. Lots of sick people, some on stretchers, some in wheelchairs, and lots of people there for support. We made it into the ultrasound room where we had a great U/S Tech. I knew a lot of what she was looking at, but she still went through and explained everything and Mike was really glad for that, because he's still not sure what he's looking at. After doing the regular ultrasound she changed to the 3D/4D wand trying to get a better idea of what the encephalocele looked like size wise. Graham was being a stinker. He let them see his head, but wouldn't show his face, so they were unable to get the image they wanted. And I was so excited to be able to see him a little bit, but I guess he's wanting it to be a surprise. We first met with Dr. Kennedy. She came back in and did another ultrasound herself being very particular and sweet with her cute British accent. She was amazing, she gave us straight forward answers and information and didn't sugarcoat it in anyway, answer to prayers, part one. I have been praying to just know a little more on what we can expect with Graham. I needed to be less confused. I needed to feel like I had as much information as I could to make decisions that would affect my own child's mortality, and now we have the answer. We then went to meet with Dr. Draper. The nurse wanted to take my vitals and weight which meant that I had to get on the scale TWICE in one day, which should be outlawed for any pregnant woman. It's not fun! Dr. Draper walked in and asked us the usual questions and then we got into some of the nitty gritty. I have been so worried about having a c-section. Mostly fear of the unknown I guess. But after talking to Dr. Draper the risks are the same for Graham whether we do a c-section or vaginal delivery, so we opted to try vaginally first. He gave us his personal opinion to what he thought was best and what he would do if this were his wife or daughter, he would avoid the c-section. Answer to prayers, part two. I have just wanted to a doctor to tell me what they would do if this were them and up to this point no one could tell me because they seems as confused as I was. We talked about decisions once Graham was here, we talked about religious beliefs, as he is LDS as well, we talked about having the kids there and what they would see, and we tried to set a date. We learned more that day than we have in the last 7 months, and that was an answer to our prayers. So we have our plans for the delivery date, now I just need to make it that far. As we left the hospital that day, I was in a little bit of a daze, there was a lot of information to take in. A lot to think about. A lot to handle physically and emotionally and it's taken a couple of days to really digest it all and understand what is going to happen that day. We look forward to that day to meet our sweet little boy, but by heart is dreading it as well, knowing that this will be the end, until we can be together again.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your journey. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love you guys so much! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are always teaching me. I should call you mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry Quinn, I can't even imagine what you are going through. You and your family are in our thoughts & prayers. May the Lord bless you and your family in your difficult journey to come.

    ReplyDelete