The Lindsay Chronicles

"Come what may and love it." -Joseph B. Worthlin

Monday, May 31, 2010

A New Meaning to Memorial Day

Memorial Day is changed in my book forever. I never in my wildest dreams thought that I would be visiting my child's grave. I guess it's very fitting that Graham's birthday is so close to this holiday, but this holiday will never have the same meaning again.
It's not just a three day weekend anymore. It's not just a time for BBQ's or camping or playing. It's a time that we remember those who have fought for our freedoms as a country and a time that we remember and honor those who have passed on.


As a kid I remember Memorial Day weekend very well. My mom was very good at taking us to the various cemetaries to decorate graves. I'm sure she was so good at doing this because she lost her mom at a young age. As I talked to my mom this weekend we talked about one headstone in particular that me and my brothers found every year. It was a headstone of a young boy, and it was him sleeping in his bed with lots of toys surrounding him. I always loved looking at it because it was so different than any other headstone that I had seen before. And now as I am picking out headstones for my own son I know his headstone won't be that extravagent, but I hope that my children will learn and remember the importance of this holiday. The importance of remembering those who have passed before us. And that although we never thought we would lose a child, I hope that we can reflect every year on the good memories that we have of Graham.


2 comments:

  1. Quinn, I love the photos! I am so glad you got such wonderful shots of Graham while he was here. We had our first granddaughter pass away several hours after she was born but we didn't know she wasn't going to make it. We only have one Polaroid shot of her jsut before she left us, with tubes and stuff all over her and inside an incubator. I've always regretted that.
    I particularly love the ones of all your hands on your tummy - so cute! Graham was a beautiful little man that was able to come to a beautiful family! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, if that headstone of the little boy is in Logan, I remember it too! Graham's imprint on the world is much larget than any headstone you can give him. I'm glad for holidays to remember.

    ReplyDelete