The Lindsay Chronicles

"Come what may and love it." -Joseph B. Worthlin

Friday, June 4, 2010

The Teacher

As a teacher I know that my students aren't all the same. They have different personalities and different learning styles. One doesn't grasp the concept the same as another and so as teachers we have to change our teaching style. We have to do one thing for one students and another for another. One style might work well for many, while another style works for a few. Some subjects come easy to some while others struggle. Over the past few months I've been thinking of this analogy when it comes to life. Heavenly Father is the teacher. He knows all the answers. He is the "All-Knowing" teacher, he doesn't just teach in one area like I do. He has different teaching styles to help all of us learn, to perfect ourselves, and to return home. Many can go seemingly through life with trials and lessons that are not always apparent and so to the onlooker seem easy. Others have to struggle with trials that are more visible to other people. Whatever trials we go through, the lesson learned is the same. We all want to return to our Heavenly Father. So I've been putting myself in the student's spot. What is Heavenly Father trying to teach me? And maybe others from Graham and his short life? How is this going to help me to become better? To strive to be better each day so I can return to my Heavenly Home. I don't really understand yet, we're just starting this lesson in life as we speak. I don't know when this class period will be up, but I know that Heavenly Father is trying his hardest to help me learn, and the rest is up to me.
So, I'm going to try and remember all I've learned up to this point. To remember that this lifetime is the time we spend in class. Studying like crazy to learn to we can pass the exam. And here's what Heavenly Father has cemented in my head thus far.
  • Heavenly Father loves us more than we know, even when we go through trials that may seem unfair, or unkind on his part. We have to have these individual trials to learn.
  • Prayer is mighty powerful.
  • Families are forever. Even if we aren't physically together all the time, we rely on everyone to get through life.
  • We can't understand everything all at once.
  • You wouldn't feel so much pain if you didn't love so much. But there's nothing greater than pure love.
  • That people are good, and we shouldn't get stuck looking at the bad in people.
  • It's much better to be positive than negative (definitely easier said than done on my part most times.)
  • Heavenly Father works through people, let them help you. You can't do this on your own. You need study buddies.
  • God is good, he never leaves us, and never sets us up to fail. The failure part only comes to pass if we let it.

So I'm trying to keep this analogy in my head, I'm sure it will stick always. And I'm sure I'll probably use this as a lesson for my kids, and maybe other students in the future. God is good, keep trying and never, never give up.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful insights, Quinn. I needed a reminder about one of them specifically today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all your optimism- yes, even in these days and times your attitude is one of humility and gratitude and of teaching all of us around you about faith and hope and perserverance. Thanks for sharing. I love all your new pictures, they turned out great! I haven't been in your shoes, but I agree with the 'X' nobody should have to deal with people asking questions about situations they know nothing about!

    ReplyDelete